The counterfeit to obedience is creating our own opportunities and the devotion and zeal to go with it. Like the raging euphoria that sporting events generate is a substitute to the devotion that we should have to our Lord. There is nothing wrong with sporting events, and nothing wrong with cheering for them, but why can't we do that for God? Enthusiasm paves a dangerous path when it refuses to learn and yield to God's glory.
So, let God work in you and have Him open your eyes to the fallacies to avoid, and embrace the wonders of His truth.
When God touches us, our eyes are open to Him. Yet, remember the struggle of our sin nature. If we love Jesus with passion and conviction, then the outcome will be obvious. If we are determined to do something else, as we warm the pews with our rears, then our eyes become closed. The closure of our eyes is our choice and our choice alone; "Unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds." John 12:24. Will you allow your life to be rooted in the soil of Christ and what He has done so we can rise in maturity by complying and learning in His word?
In seeking God's Will I must know that it's not about you; it's about God. It's not what we do that makes us a Christian; it's what Jesus has done for us!
THOUGHTS ON OBEDIENCE
· Our natural selfish will must be sacrificed through discipline; this is hard but the rewards are plentiful!
· God will not make us obey; it must come out of our free will.
· Obedience does not get us right with God. It is what God has done for us; obedience is merely the response.
· It is easy to be a frantic devotee of a sporting event, but what does it take to be a devotee of Christ?
· Our obedience may cause difficulties that are not meant as a personal attack upon us. Rather they enable us to be better used by God. So, we can identify with a plight of others.
· We can disobey God out of our free will and He will give us His grace. What good would we be?
· Our confusion can only be solved by obedience!
· We are to bring every thought, concern, argument into the captivity of obedience because we are responsible (II Corinthians 10:5).
· Making the choice to martyr ourselves or undergo undue suffering is a very wrong move unless it comes from choosing God's will. God is in control!
· Perfect obedience is perfect trust. Discernment comes out of obedience!
· Matthew 11:28 states to let our rest be in Jesus, not unrest!
· Remember your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. So, live your life responsibly: I Corinthians 6:19.
· Perfect confidence in Christ is obedience.
· Knowledge and insight happen only by obedience, not just from our experience.
· If you do not understand something spiritual, it is usually because of a lack of obedience.
· We cannot pretend to comply. God will uncover our falseness.
© 1994, 2001 R.J. Krejcir http://www.intothyword.com/
Richard Joseph Krejcir, is the Director of 'Into Thy Word Ministries, 'a discipleing ministry. He is also a pastor, teacher, speaker is a graduate of Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena California and has amounted nearly 20 years of pastoral ministry experience mostly in youth ministry, including serving as a church growth consultant.